Please read the following notes and rules before entering a class and completing your entry form:
- Get your entry forms, with entry fees in before the closing date.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to stage your exhibits on the day.
- Read the schedule carefully and you won’t get disqualified.
- Do not enter more than you have time to stage.
- Be very sure that your Exhibitor Tickets (which are provided) are as close
to your exhibits as possible, but not obscured by them. Make certain
that no other Ticket is touching your exhibit.
- Regal Pelargoniums have brilliant trumpet shaped blooms with attractive
blotches and marking on the petals.
- Zonal Pelargoniums (Single and Double Flowered Varieties) have leaves
with a zone of dark brown copper running horse-shoe fashion through the
middle part of the leaf.
- Tomatoes – class 96 -must be of the ordinary type of cultivar – not
Beefsteak, Cherry, etc.
- Keep the following definitions in mind:-
a) Dahlias, Roses, Gladioli are “kinds” of flowers. Peace, Ena Harkness and
Spek’s Yellow are “varieties” of roses.
b) A bowl is a container whose greatest inside width across the top is equal
to or greater than its internal height.
c) A vase is a container whose greatest inside width across the top is less
than its internal height
d) No jam jars, milk bottles or plastic bottles will be allowed as a container.
All containers, including plant pots, should be clean.
e) For the purposes of this Show, a spike, e.g. Gladioli or Antirrhinum will be
considered to be one flower.
f) Grasses will not be classed as flowers.
g) “Mixed Flowers” will mean more than two kinds.
h) Name your varieties. Variety Cards are available when you pick up your exhibiting envelopes. Points can be gained in close competition.
- Homecraft Classes 174-175-176 & 177 must have wax discs and
- Homecraft Class 178 must have a screw top with plastic lining.
Finally, if you are in doubt about anything, please speak to the Show
Manager or Assistant Show Manager.
RULES FOR EXHIBITORS
- Exhibitors may stage their entries between 6.30pm and 10.00pm on Friday
16th August and from 7.00am to 9.15am on Saturday 17th August.
Staging will not be allowed after 9.15am. This rule will be strictly enforced.
- The only Officials of the Show allowed to remain during judging shall be
the Hon. Show Manager, Hon. Assistant Show Manager, Chairman,
Hon. Secretary and Hon. Treasurer, with authority to co-opt.
- All trophies will remain the property of the Society but are held by
successful exhibitors for one year.
The holders are held responsible that all reasonable care is taken of the
trophies and, if they wish obtain the service of a reputable engraver,
to engrave the trophies with their name at their own expense.
THE TROPHIES SHOULD BE RETURNED TO THE HONORARY SHOW MANAGER CLEANED AND POLISHED, NO LATER THAN 8TH AUGUST 2020.
- Any exhibit, if according to Schedule, will be allowed to win a prize, in
any class. Any exhibitor who wins more than one prize in any one class
may only count the points of the highest place towards any Trophy, the
Presidents Prize or the RHS Banksian Medal.
- Points are awarded on the basis of:-
1st Prize – 3 points. 2nd Prize – 2 points. 3rd Prize – 1 point.
In the event of a tie, the exhibitor with most 1st’s will be judged the winner.
- The Committee reserve the right to cancel any class which in it’s opinion
has an insufficient number of entries. In any event, if only one entry is in
one class, the judges have power to award 2nd or 3rd instead of 1st, if in
their opinion, a higher award is not warranted.
- Entry forms and fees should be sent to Miss J.J.Stirrup, 8 Bennett Road,
Thornton, FY5 2RR no later than Tuesday 13th August 2019.
- Exhibitors must provide their own staging material i.e. plates, vases, etc.,
which, along with other exhibits, so far as lies in the power of the Society,
will be taken care of by the Committee and Stewards, but no guarantee
can be given as to security.
- The Committee reserve the right to substitute vouchers in lieu of cash
prizes, when circumstances are, in it’s opinion, suitable.
- The Committee reserve the right to refuse any entry, and all matters not
provided for in these Rules shall be left to it’s discretion and it’s decision
shall be final.
- Entries in the Horticultural Classes are strictly confined to produce
grown by such exhibitors, and if called upon to do so, they must produce
satisfactory evidence to support this. Where this Rule is violated, all prizes
obtained throughout by the exhibitor will be forfeited.
- The Show is an exhibition of entries by amateurs. An amateur is defined as
” A person who does not earn his/her living from selling the goods he/she
is exhibiting. “
- For the purpose of this Show, a novice shall be deemed to be a person
who has not previously won a 1st prize at this or any other Show in the
particular class for which the entry is made.
- Any articles exhibited at our previous Shows will not be accepted in
Sections 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16.
- All objections must be in writing and lodged with the Hon.Show Manager
before 2.00pm on the day of the Show. The grounds for the objection stated
and a deposit of 50p paid, which shall be forfeited if in the opinion of the Committee the objection is not justified.
- Prize money will be paid out after 2.30pm and no later than 5.00pm in the
Hall on the day of the Show. Any monies not collected by 20th September
2019, shall be forfeited and go to the Society’s funds.
- All Trophies will be presented on Saturday 17th August 2019 at 5.30pm.
- NO EXHIBIT OR ANY ITEM ON DISPLAY IN THE HALL should be
removed until after the presentation of the Trophies, which is the official
close of the Show. Time will be allowed for all exhibitors to remove their
exhibits before the Show is dismantled.